Mary Bromfield is the eldest foster kid in the Vasquez home, she cares very much about her foster siblings and is protective of them like a mother cub.
Not much is known about Mary's past other than she's a foster kid who, when she first arrived at the Vasquez's ran away twice like Billy did. Overtime she accepted being with the Vasquez's and the responsibility of being the big sister to the other foster kids that came after her.
Mary is introduced to Billy while being interviewed by a college she wants to get into when she's stuck on a question she looks to Victor and Rosa for help. Victor tells her to use her foster kid card cause college's eat stuff like that up. Mary does so and it works, later that night at dinner Mary eats dinner with her family and joins hands with them as they share thanks for being together.
The next day after school, Mary tries to stop the Burke brothers from bullying Freddy after they nearly hit him with their truck. As Billy walks away Mary questions him on how he could leave Freddy in his situation. Billy then takes down the bullies after they bring up Freddy's mom and his "fake family" due to Billy's feeling towards his own mother and finding her which suprises her.
The birth of Shazam
Some days later, Mary had received her acceptance letter from Caltech only to become despondent at the thought of leaving her family behind. Distracted by these thoughts, she was nearly run over by a snowplow, being saved by a superhero. When she spoke to the hero about her issues, he advised her to prioritize her own interests and dreams, though accidentally revealing that he knew both her name (initially waving this off as a power of his) and that she lived in a foster home.
After Shazam had dueled Thaddeus Sivana, Victor and Rosa spoke to Billy about his irresponsibility. As the three spoke, Mary noticed a news report of Freddy speaking with Shazam allowing her to deduce that Billy was Shazam, something Darla eagerly confirmed. When the four siblings confronted Billy over this, he was reluctant to ever resume the mantle of a hero before they revealed they'd found his biological mother, two subway stops away from them, causing him to rush after her. As Victor and Rosa went after him, Mary was left in charge of her siblings before Sivana arrived and claimed them all as hostages.
Fighting Thaddeus Sivana
Billy soon arrived and initially dueled Sivana again before he surrendered himself to the villain and was taken into the Rock of Eternity to have his powers drained. The siblings followed Billy through and, after escaping from the Seven Deadly Sins, teleported back to Philadelphia, though inside a gentleman's club, with Sivana hot on their heels.
Becoming a superhero
To evade him, the quintet tried to blend in with a carnival crowd only for Sivana to unleash the Sins forcing Billy to reveal himself and duel his foe. The other five tried to draw out the Sins, with Mary firing at Sivana's eye with a carnival game gun, only for him to catch it at the last second. Ultimately, they were captured once again with Sivana trying to use the Staff to drain Billy's powers. In a moment of insight, however, Billy stole the staff and used it to bestow his foster siblings with his powers, transforming them as well.
With their new powers, the Shazam Family was able to hold off the Sins long enough for Billy to claim the Sins' containment orb and trap them back inside, though not before he briefly teased his siblings that he'd fallen under their influence. With the battle won, the siblings returned the Sins to the Rock of Eternity, claiming the realm as their "lair" before returning home, Billy now an eager participant in their family rituals.
The next day, Mary led her siblings to sit by Freddy at lunch, before Billy, as Shazam, made good on a previous promise to Freddy and joined them, before revealing that he'd also invited Superman to join them.
Mary is a teenage girl, just like Billy's age. While she is the oldest of the foster children, Mary has been working on plans to enroll in college.
Mary Broomfield is a collected and friendly individual, who is shown to be a good older sister to her foster siblings, who all generally like her. Out of all the orphans, she provides the sharpest contrast to Billy Batson as he initially kept everyone at a distance, looked out only for himself and acted irresponsibly while Mary is firmly attached to her foster family, puts others before herself and is the most mature family member after their foster parents.
Due to her love for her foster family, Mary was initially very distressed when she learned that her college degree meant she may have to leave them. She also gets very protective of her foster family, whether that be from bullies or Thaddeus Sivana himself, and is extremely defensive of their youngest, Darla. She even risks her life or puts herself in harm's way if it means keeping the other kids safe.
Mary is also quite intelligent, being accepted into the very prestigious Caltech, with her also being able to rather quickly deduce that Billy Batson was the superhero upon looking at a newscast and recalling the recent events that had transpired in the Vasquez home. Mary was also able to swiftly improvise a plan to weaken Sivana, by suggesting that she, along with her foster siblings, lure out all the Seven Deadly Sins from the supervillainous doctor, so as to render him powerless.
Powers and abilities
- Transformation: After shouting Shazam!, while holding the Magician's staff, Mary was given the ability to transform. When transformed, Mary has many powers and abilities, which exceed the capabilities of humans. Like Billy, and unlike the others, her powers do not appear to be specialized towards any one ability.
- Gifted intelligence: Mary Bromfield is quite intelligent, observant and perceptive, having been an academic overachiever in high school, which allowed her to be accepted into the very prestigious Caltech, with her also being able to rather quickly deduce that Billy Batson was the superhero upon looking at a newscast and recalling the recent events that had transpired in the Vasquez home. Mary was also able to swiftly improvise a plan to weaken Sivana, by suggesting that she, along with her foster siblings, lure out all the Seven Deadly Sins from the supervillainous doctor, so as to render him powerless.
- Combatant: As her Super Hero, Mary showed an aptitude for hand-to-hand combat while facing the Deadly Sins.
- Skilled markswoman: Mary Bromfield is a skilled markswoman, being able to utilize a carnival game gun to fire a shot at Sivana's Eye of Sin, and would have successfully nailed him had he not used his superhuman reflexes to quickly intercept it.
- Mary's suit: When empowered as her Super Hero, Mary wears a costume that is colored red, just like Billy's with a lightning bolt on her chest. It also has a white cape with a hood and gold trim and a skirt.
- In the comics, Mary Marvel is her SHAZAM vessel, she usually is Mary Batson, Billy's twin sister. Recently she was changed to Bromfield, his older foster sister from the 52 run.
- This is Mary's first live action cinematic appearance.
|Media||Shazam! | Black Adam | Untitled Shazam film|
|Characters||Billy Batson/Shazam | Shazam | Mary Bromfield | Freddy Freeman | Eugene Choi | Pedro Peña | Darla Dudley | Victor Vasquez | Rosa Vasquez | Lynn Crosby | E.B. Glover|
|Enemies||Black Adam | Dr. Sivana | Brett Bryer | Burke Bryer | Mister Mind | Pride | Gluttony | Envy | Wrath | Sloth | Greed | Lust|
|Miscellaneous||Kahndaq | Magic 8 Ball | Rock of Eternity | Council of Wizards | Sivana Industries | Fawcett Central High School | Shazam's Staff | Seven Deadly Sins | Philadelphia | Shazam film series|